Reasons why I am having a bad day:
- I got into a stupid conversation with my mother about multiculturalness (I don’t think that’s a word but you know what I mean). She objects to having to use names that are not ‘good old fashioned English names’ in her physics questions she writes. She said all her pupils are white so why should they read about Tyrone and Ishmael working out the height of a lamp post. I pointed out that in my area of
we have a very diverse range of cultures and all those kids of mixed-heritage that are finding their own culture. Also just because someone is called Tyrone doesn’t mean they are black, names mean nothing around here where there is such an intermingling of cultures. She got into a bit of a flap and then started spouting some very scary stuff “This is Gloucester . We are a white Christian nation and if someone wants to come to my country they need to play by our rules. I object to them telling me how to run my life” So I say “WHO EXSACTLY has tried to make you do anything you don’t want to” She replies “The terrorists”. There I have to end the conversation because in the face of such blatant racism and misunderstanding and lapping up the shit the media dole out, what can you do? I just asked “What exactly is your culture that you are so eager to protect? Because in a country where 1% attends church on a Sunday I don’t think we can call the country Christian.” She went ballistic, drew in air, puffed herself up to eight times her size and then exploded all over the car….ok she didn’t but we had reached our destination and I was very sad to realise how narrow-minded my mother’s world view is. ENGLAND
- I dropped my toast on the floor, picked it up, took a bite only to discover it had landed in a patch of washing liquid that was cunningly hidden on the floor. I still taste the foulness of Floral Bouquet as I write.
- I have to put the kids to bed on my own.
impossible. The only reason I am not demanding Rob’s return at bedtime is that he has bargained that he will get up in the morning. I have to tell you I will do ANYTHING for a lie-in! Mission
- I have a headache and we have run out of painkillers.
- I have two long days ahead of me where I have nothing to do and no money to do it with. We’ve already been to the park 3 times this week and there is a limit to the fascination of the city farm.
- I have a baby crying and crawling towards me now saying “mum mum mum”
- I would really like to have a holiday and that is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. When I was at the festival I was still on Mum Duty. The best holiday I’ve had this year was when I was in hospital. Sad isn’t it?
- My house looks like some has had a party in it and it will never get clean again!